Monday 7 May 2012

Directories & Projects Spring Cleaning

From: mark Mayer
Date: 7 March 2012 18:55


I'd appreciate suggestions about how to reorganize my My Directories&ProjectDir listing.
Its currently got several years worth of work and is getting hard to work with.
I'd like to archive old projects (say by year) but keep all the CCP4i files for each project intact, so that I can easily go back to them in the future without having to wade through the current multi year list.

Thanks

----------
From: Enrico Stura

Mark,

I am faced with the same problem. I work under Linux.
Since everything depends from the .CCP4 directory,
 this directory  can be copied to
a storage location. Example: /oldproj/dotCCP4_2011:
/home/user % cp -r .CCP4   /oldproj/dotCCP4_2011

Once this directory has been effectively backed up
all old projects can be deleted in the ccp4i interface.
The Spring cleaned .CCP4 can be moved
to a new location for example: /projects/dotCCP4_2012
/home/user % mv .CCP4  /projects/dotCCP4_2012
A logical link is established with:
/home/user % ln -s /projects/dotCCP4_2012 .CCP4
The link will point to the new directory. This new directory
will be filled up during 2012 and at the end of the year
backed up in the same way.

To re-use old environments:
/home/user % ln -s /oldproj/dotCCP4_2011 .CCP4
Will allow to return to the 2011 status.

As long as nothing is deleted, nothing is lost.
Caution: Transfered directories may need logical links to ensure that
connectivity to the directories is maintained.

This is not very elegant and I do this by hand since I am not aware of any
script that does it automatically.
Probably in a future version of ccp4i there will be an archive function.
I am sure that many other users would wlecome it too.


Enrico.

No comments:

Post a Comment