Saturday 22 October 2011

Database access failure during program execution

From: Jobichen Chacko
Date: 5 October 2011 02:59


Dear All,
I am getting the following error message when trying to execute any program.

Database Access Failure

This instance of CCP4i no longer has control of the current database......


It is recommending to close the interface and restart, but it is
coming back with the same error even after restarting the computer.
How can overcome this issue?

Thanks.
Jobi

----------
From: Jobichen Chacko

Dear All,

Some more details.
I am running a Ubuntu 11.04 system. The ccp4i is recently installed.
I looked into our previous posts and tried to locate the ccp4.LOCK
file, but I cannot find one in my system.
Also tried to reinstall the whole ccp4i but hasn't solved the issue.
Also tried to delete the CCP4-database directory and its contents.
Jobi

----------
From: Ed Pozharski

Curiously, neither can I with the ccp4i currently running.  Maybe this
info is outdated, and you should try deleting "database.LOCK" instead in
the CCP4_DATABASE folder of the project that you have listed under
CURRENT_PROJECT in ~/.CCP4/unix/status.def ?  Although my expectation is
that if a project is locked ccp4i will offer you an override option.

As a random thought, check if you don't have any disk access problems
(stale NFS handles and such).  A drive that drops into read-only mode
for some reason could cause all kinds of otherwise mysterious problems.


--
"Hurry up before we all come back to our senses!"
                          Julian, King of Lemurs

----------
From: Jon Schuermann


If I'm not mistaken it is caused by /tmp/'username' not existing or being writable...

Jon

--
Jonathan P. Schuermann, Ph. D.
Beamline Scientist
NE-CAT, Building 436E
Advanced Photon Source (APS)
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL 60439

----------
From: Ed Pozharski

I can't reproduce this behavior by removing writing permissions
from /tmp/$USER.  ccp4i starts without a complaint (I guess I'd get into
trouble if I were actually to try to run, say, a refmac job).

--
Oh, suddenly throwing a giraffe into a volcano to make water is crazy?
                                               Julian, King of Lemurs

----------
From: Jobichen Chacko

Dear All,
I even tried to remove the whole ccp4i directory and installed it
fresh using the same tar file. But this problem is recurring again. It
seems some bug is already installed in the system which prevents the
execution of the program.

I searched in the CCP4 page and found some info. That page suggests to
download two files (database-lock.tcl and taskwindow-lock.tcl)  into
the src directory. But it seems like I need to edit that files.I
downloaded those files into my src and it is not resolving this
issue.I am also skeptical whether this works for my latest version
(6.2.0)

Jobi


No comments:

Post a Comment