Friday 27 April 2012

contaminant when overexpressing a GST tagged protein

From: SANCHEZ BARRENA, MARIA JOSE
Date: 22 March 2012 15:40


Dear all,

I am trying to express a eukatiotic protein (E. coli codon optimized sequence) with a GST tag at the N-terminus. I always get my overexpressed protein and a contaminant around 60kDa. This contaminant is not washed out of the column when washing glutathione beads with 1M NaCl-buffer. However, during o/n incubation with proteases that cleave the GST off (thrombin or TEV), the contaminant is in the soluble fraction.....

Has someone had this experience? I know about contaminants that bind to Ni2+ when overexpressing a His-tagged protein, but this is the first time I get such thing with a GST-tagged protein.

One could think that that "contaminant" could be a protein that binds to my overexpressed protein, but I do not think so, cause I always get a huge band of the contaminant, independently on the amount of the protein of interest....
Many thanks in advance for all your suggestions and sorry for asking about non-crystallographic topics.
Regards,

Maria


----------
From: Antony Oliver


I would hazard a guess of Gro-EL.

With regards,

Tony.

---
Dr Antony W Oliver

----------
From: Parthasarathy Sampathkumar


Hi Maria,

As mentioned by Tony, it could be a chaperonin. Having little of ATP (0.5mM or less) and Mg2+ (1mM) in lysis buffer might help.

Good Luck,
Partha




No comments:

Post a Comment