Saturday 21 January 2012

[off topic] Control of crystals' direction and position in the drop.


From: Nian Huang
Date: 22 December 2011 00:10


I tried the bookend drop method. It didn't work for me but hopefully it will benefit other people.
There is only one thing I need to add to the detailed protocol from Martyn. I had trouble not cutting through the plastic slides. Even I could do it, it was impossible to peel a layer up. So in the end, it became much easier for me by just cutting a cross in the middle of the coverslip, raising up one corner of the cross, and sealing it with a clear tape. Hopefully it can help. 

Nian

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM, MARTYN SYMMONS  wrote:
Attached is a picture of making the bookend setup - step b. shows the razor levering up the flap from the plastic coverslip  - be careful not to cut right through (I have done that and the drop dries extra quick in such a case) also be careful to apply the protein/well droplet as shown with to the shiny side of the lifted flap. (Apologies for the attachment). 

hope your crystals go well.

Martyn 

From: Nian Huang 

Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] [off topic] Control of crystals' direction and position in the drop.

Thank you guys. I basically tried almost everything that I can find in the hampton catalogue and in this bulletin, seeding, hanging, sitting, sandwitch drops (which made things worse), temperature, gel, oil batch, and additive screens. Manipulating the crystal with fiber increases the chance to make it grow twin. The "book end" coverslip sounds a fantasic idea. It might be just going to work.

Best,

Nian




No comments:

Post a Comment