Saturday 18 February 2012

Coot on an SGI

From: Clayton, Gina
Date: 26 January 2012 16:59


Hi there

we are trying to install Coot onto one of our old SGIs and so we installed Coot 0.0.33 (IRIX). However when starting Coot,  such as in the Coot (install) directory,  we get an error message stating thatlib "libgcc_s.so is required but can not be found. We have the sgi freeware gcc_lib installed (the link on the Coot page to sgi.freeware, is dead ) but can only find libgcc_a in our gcc_lib.

Can someone tell us how we can get hold of the right library?

Thanks so much for any help
Gina



----------
From: William G. Scott

Dear Gina:

I think Coot 0.0.33 originated sometime early in the Nixon administration, and I finally parted with my SGIs a few years ago, so am not in a good position to advise.  I seem vaguely to remember some non-canonical naming of the files.  What happens if you make a symbolic link from the one you have to the one that is required?

As I recall, coot on an SGI (at least on my R10000, which I think has a processor almost as fast as that in my generation A iPod touch) was impossibly slow.  By contrast, I can run the very latest svn revision of coot in stereo on a $270 Zalman monitor attached to a $600 mac mini.

I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I think an ancient version of coot on an ancient computer will just be a world of hurt.

-- Bill

William G. Scott


----------
From: Michael Strickler


As someone stuck maintaining an SGI for a user who resolutely refuses to
abandon Showcase or Ribbons for IRIX, I sympathize with those cases
where one simply has to get an old computer system to work.

Anyway, we don't have the relevant library file in our freeware
directories either.  However, the last version of UCSF Chimera to
support IRIX, version 1.3, supplies libgcc_s.so.1.  We are using a
symbolic link libgcc_s.so --> libgcc_s.so.1 to run Coot 0.3.3 (not Coot
0.0.33, which runs only on Babbage analytical engines).  Chimera 1.3 is
still available from the UCSF Chimera download page:

http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera/download.html

as long as you are able to agree to their non-commercial software
license agreement.

Regards,

--
Michael Strickler, Ph.D.

----------
From: Clayton, Gina

I second Michael's situation.  I am stuck with getting the old SGI system to work in this  case - . So many thanks for the info Michael I will let you know if that works out.

Hi Bill I have not seen the Zalman for sale at the price you give of $270. I looked around a while ago for a good price but I think the cost was around $500.

Best
Gina
Dear Gina:

I think Coot 0.0.33 originated sometime early in the Nixon administration, and I finally parted with my SGIs a few years ago, so am not in a good position to advise.  I seem vaguely to remember some non-canonical naming of the files.  What happens if you make a symbolic link from the one you have to the one that is required?

As I recall, coot on an SGI (at least on my R10000, which I think has a processor almost as fast as that in my generation A iPod touch) was impossibly slow.  By contrast, I can run the very latest svn revision of coot in stereo on a $270 Zalman monitor attached to a $600 mac mini.

I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I think an ancient version of coot on an ancient computer will just be a world of hurt.

-- Bill

William G. Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment