Monday 20 February 2012

synchrotron X-ray picture

From: Patrick Loll
Date: 1 February 2012 18:43


Hi all,

I have a vague memory of having a picture in someone's presentation once, showing a smoking hot X-ray beam emerging from the beam pipe in a hutch at a synchrotron. I think the picture might have been a double exposure, with a long exposure that captured air ionization superimposed on a normal photo (or some similar contrivance).

In any case, can anyone point to or provide such a picture? I'm preparing a seminar, and I want to lend artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative...

Thanks in advance,

Pat



----------
From: Matthew Franklin

Hi Pat -

I, too, have a memory of such a picture.  This isn't quite the one I was thinking of, but it should hopefully serve the purpose:

http://www.nsls.bnl.gov/about/imagelibrary/images/hr/Synchrotron_Light2_hires.tif

(there are a couple more from the parent page: http://www.nsls.bnl.gov/about/imagelibrary/ )

- Matt
Professor of Biochemistry&  Molecular Biology


--
Matthew Franklin, Ph. D.


----------
From: Matthew Franklin


PS - I should point out that this is most likely the raw, unfiltered, non-monochromatic synchrotron beam, through what seems to be a very large aperture.  Not the sort of thing you'd put your crystal into - you'd probably melt the pin!

----------
From: Gerard Bricogne


Dear Patrick,

    One such image I can remember was that of the first beam at ESRF. If
you Google for "ESRF first beam", asking for Images, the first one you get
(top left corner) is rather similar. The original one was, I think, more
dramatic than that (or perhaps I was more impressionable). It was an iconic
picture that was used on the front pages of many journals and newsletters at
the time. If someone finds it, I wouldn't mind knowing where to get a copy
of it as well.


    Best of luck!

       Gerard.


No comments:

Post a Comment