Friday 30 March 2012

a small trick for protein and organic compound cocrystallization.

From: Kevin Jin
Date: 30 March 2012 09:02

Dear All,

Here is way I have used for protein and hydrophobic organic compound
cocrystallization. Via this method, less amount of DMSO will be used
to aviod protein ppt.

I hope you can use for your research.

http://www.jinkai.org/Xtal.html

Regards,

--
Kevin Jin

Sharing knowledge each other is always very joyful......

Website: http://www.jinkai.org/

----------
From: Bryan Lepore
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Kevin Jin <kevinjin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is way I have used for [...]

I hate to be a curmudgeon, but can a list member please explain why
this is not specifically blogspam or spam - or whatever it is exactly?


-Bryan

----------
From: Jacob Keller
What's the harm? Seems relevant to crystallographers, and not for self-promotion, but just to help, share an interesting tip. Perhaps you can think of it as a response to an un-asked but plausible question, i.e., "how can I treat my coverslips to make them more receptive to organic solvent-containing drops?

Jacob

ps I bet you don't really hate to be a curmudgeon--there is a certain pleasure in it!

--
*******************************************
Jacob Pearson Keller


----------
From: Bryan Lepore
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Jacob Keller
 wrote:
> What's the harm?

have you seen usenet/Google groups?

-Bryan

----------
From: James Stroud
It's not really "spam", but there are better channels to communicate these type of updates. Twitter is probably the best known channel. People get to subscribe and authors can push their contributions to willful and interested subscribers. The author posts a summary of what's behind the link and then posts the link, just as Jin is doing with his ad-hoc feed here.

For example, a few days ago I created the @amyloids twitter feed (https://twitter.com/#!/amyloids) that features recent publications I have read and that I also think are of interest to amyloid researchers.

Instead of being to critical, let's just direct authors to use the proper channels. Social media has moved fast in recent years, and we should be understanding as the scientific community plays catch-up.

If Jin created a twitter feed for tips, it would probably get some subscribers from this board--as long as we don't begrudge the Jin an opportunity to send out an advertisement for the feed itself.

James

----------
From: Zhijie Li
Hi,

If those are spams, then Kevin must be the most successful spammer I have ever encountered, as I have actually read all his posts and linked web pages.

About the twitter idea, I am not sure if I would ever become a twitter user in the near future. Compared to following tens of authors, I think a quick glance at the CCP4BB would remain a much more efficient means for learning about new things. There is also a filtering function in my email client program - certainly beats twitter/FB/groups IMHO.

Zhijie



No comments:

Post a Comment