Wednesday 23 November 2011

Off topic: Kendrew Model

From: Katherine Sippel
Date: 1 November 2011 14:34

Hi all,

I'm going to interject into the middle of this rousing though protracted debate to pick your brains. I am in possession of a rather large and intact brass scale Kendrew model (sans mirrors). Due to facility restructuring we no longer have room for it. I have approached the local health science and natural science museums but have gotten nothing but the run around. This amazing model is in need of a forever home and I'm stumped as far as alternative ideas. I am seriously considering suspending a Mars bars in the sugar binding cleft, calling it MBP, and trying to spin it to the art museum as a modernist piece commenting on the diets in Western civilization. Either that or putting it in my dining room if I can get it in the door. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Katherine

----------
From: Jacob Keller
Maybe you could refine it using our new-fangled methods to improve the
model? (Couldn't resist such irony!)

Jacob
--
*******************************************
Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program
*******************************************

----------
From: Scott Pegan
Yeah, maybe if he got down to 1.0 Angstrom he could get it in the front door.

Scott
--
Scott D. Pegan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of Denver

----------
From: <Herman.Schreuder

Maybe one of the PDB centers has room for it in the hall of their expensive buildings where the data are stored?
Herman
PS: I am very curious to see with what kind of robot the PDB redo people will come up to redo all the screws in the model.



----------
From: Andreas Förster
Is it like this one:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/I053/10321094.aspx

Not sure I would want to put it into the dining room...


Andreas
--
       Andreas Förster, Research Associate
       Paul Freemont & Xiaodong Zhang Labs
Department of Biochemistry, Imperial College London
           http://www.msf.bio.ic.ac.uk

----------
From: Katherine Sippel
Hi Andreas,

It is much larger and looks slightly less like Chthulu cut himself shaving (I'm going to crystallographer hell for that comment). For those interested I've put the picture on Photobucket so as to not trash people's inbox. http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/KatherineSippel/?action=view&current=ABP_pic.jpg

Katherine



I wanted to let you all know with the gracious assistance of Bernhard Rupp the model has found a new home with Katherine Kantardjieff in the Center for Molecular Structure were it can be appreciated as it deserves.

I also wanted to extend a thank you to the whole community. I was amazed and touched by the response which ended up spanning three continents.  In the few years I've been subscribed this bulletin board it has been reliably helpful and immensely educational. It has raised my awareness of potential issues and allowed me to make informed decisions as to the direction I proceed. I have watched an entire field evolve in a matter of weeks and months rather than trying to fumble with policy in a week at yearly conferences. And while there are always contentious issues and heated debates you never fail to lend your expertise and advice. You guys are one of the reasons I love this job. Again, thanks.

Cheers,

Katherine



No comments:

Post a Comment